
Sometimes it’s holding on that makes us strong. Sometimes it’s letting go.
This blog couldn’t have come at a more appropriate time because I’m actually in the middle of “cleaning house” right now. My best friend and I have been attached at the hip since freshman year of high school. We did everything in a pair and even decided to attend Rider together.
It turned out that Rider wasn’t the right place for my best friend (let’s call her Susie), so Susie transferred to a different college and is now two and a half hours away from me. It was a huge transition for us because we went from seeing each other everyday for five years to seeing each other once a month if that. Last year it actually worked out very well. We talked on the phone, IM, and via email all the time. She was still grounding herself in a new environment, so she needed my support and I liked that.
This year Susie lives in an apartment with five of her new friends and is always busy with them. I feel like she doesn’t have the time for me anymore…at least the amount of time that I would like to talk with her. Whenever we do talk, it’s a short and rushed conversation because one of us always has something to do. I don’t like to think of myself as a jealous person, but it does hurt when Susie doesn’t make time for me in her life, yet spends plenty of time with other people. Looking in from the outside, I feel like Susie has all she needs with her new college friends and doesn’t need my support anymore.
I’m in a tough place because while I’m so happy Susie has found a place where she’s comfortable to be herself, I’m stuck here wanting more than she can give me at this time. Susie is very shy and takes a while to adjust to new situations. I’m so proud of her for moving to a different school hours away from our home. She really left her comfort zone and recognized that it would help her gain more self-confidence. She’s finally at a point in her life where she can truly discover who she is and who she wants to be. Unfortunately, I don’t feel like I fit into the equation at this time. Perhaps she needs to fly on her own and let go of me until she’s reached her own personal goals. It’s very sad for me to think that’s there’s a possibility that we won’t be friends in the future, but I really doubt that will happen. We haven’t talked in a few weeks now, but I don’t wish to erase her from my life forever. I’m simply cleaning house for the time being. Otherwise, our relationship will be destroyed.
I have to let go of Susie and give her time to accomplish her goals on her own, without my help. On the other hand, I need the strength to live without my best friend too. In the mean time, I try to focus my attention on other things – school, work, family, and friends. I know that we can get through this bump in the road.
As we discussed in class, cleaning house is necessary at times. I can either let go of Susie now and hope for a friendship in the future, or I can hang onto her and wait for her to let go of me. I don’t want to smother Susie in her time of growth. She doesn’t deserve that and neither do I. I’m cutting the ties between us for the benefit of both of us. I want to salvage our relationship, not end it. I think this is the best way to fix it.

This time last year my family and I were uprooting our lives and cleaning house – literally. We were moving into a new home and escaping the unpleasant environment we had lived in for years.
I’m one of six kids and we’re all very close with each other and our mom. Unfortunately, none of us have that relationship with my dad. As we grew up, we never had a close personal relationship with him. He said his duty as a father was to provide for us, not to be our friend. In retrospect, my mom played both parts – mom and dad.
My parents were married for 25 years, but were far from happy. In fact, my mom begged my dad for a divorce 15 years ago, but he refused. I’m sure you’re thinking, “Why didn’t she just leave?” Well easier said than done I guess. My mom was raising six kids and did what she thought was best for us at the time. She stayed with my dad and put her own feelings aside to keep everyone else happy.
I didn’t realize how depressed my mom really was until my senior year of high school. I noticed her crying all the time and asked her if there was anything I could do. She said no, she just felt trapped and didn’t think she would ever get out. My siblings and I knew that it would be best for us to get out of the house, for our sake and our mom’s. I’ve never met anyone as selfless as my mom and she deserves happiness more than anyone I know.
At this time, we all stood by mom supporting her and encouraging her to leave. We told her that we’re all on her side, and would go with her. Even at her lowest points of depression, my mom was still looking out for the feelings of others. She didn’t want to hurt my dad. I assured my mom that he would be okay, and her health was the most important element of this particular situation.
My mom started looking at houses, unbeknownst to my dad. She finally found one that she liked and that she could afford. We were all present when my mom told my dad that we would be leaving. For the first time in my life I recognized the humanity in my dad. He showed emotion. It was very sad, but I was happy that he cared. He told my mom that he wants the best for her. It was a moment in my life that I will never forget.
November 11, 2007 we moved into a new home. Our new home is such a fun, open atmosphere. It was the best decision my mom has ever made. My dad is doing just fine now, and my parents are actually able to be friends. I will never be daddy’s little girl, but we definitely appreciate each other more than ever.
I am so grateful for cleaning house in this circumstance. In just one year, my family (including my dad) has grown much happier.

7 comments:
Rose
I loved reading your blog post I thought it was so inspirational. I loved how you put in two picture quotes those were very deep. I liked hearing about your relationship with your friend and also how you talk about growing and moving on because I agree with that as well. I really enjoyed your blog and think you did a great job and really opened up!
Daniela
Rose,
I, too, have gone through a similar experience with a cousin. We literally grew up together and were really close. But, with him being two years older, he moved on to college and I haven't spoken to him since. Not because I don't want to but because sometimes it does feel like you're not as important. And I completely understand the "short and rushed conversations" because that's pretty much all my cousin and I have going on between us. Our relationship is now at the awkward "hey, it's my yearly birthday message to you" voice mail stage. Things used to be different, and as much as we hate to admit it, maybe this is all for the best. Only time will tell. Excellent blog post and I look forward to more of your writing. You've really put your heart into this one and it shows.
Rose,
Let me start off first by saying how much I loved reading your blog! It was excellently written and very personal.
Referring to the example about your friend, it is so mature of you to be able to be proud of her and admit that you might not, as you said, "fit the equation" at this time in her life. You seem well aware of the fact that if this friendship is meant ot continue, it will. I also agree that you are making the right decision by "cleaning house" from it - at least temporarily.
The story about your mom, you, and your siblings leaving your dad was very powerful. It's wonderful to hear that things turned out so well for you and your family after your mom found the strength (a lot of which seems like it came from the encouragement from you and your siblings) to leave your dad.
It is obvious by reading your blog that you are a very strong and mature person. The song you included at the end goes along perfectly with both these "cleaning house" examples you used too.
Again, excellent job!
- Kaitlin
Rose,
I can completely identify with your situation with your friend. I lost my high school best friend when we went to college because the distance was just to much for our relationship to handle. However a friend that I thought I had lost has come back into my life in the last year and a half and she goes to Arcadia, which is hard, but the way we make it work is by understanding that we can't always spend tons of time talking or texting, but when we get together we make it count! Also when we are on breaks we tend to see each other constantly, but do things where we don't get on each other's nerves, like watching movies which doesn't always require the most interaction. Good Luck with Susie, I'm sure which ever way it goes will be for the best for you : )
Rose - Your blog moved me so much when you began talking about your family's history. Your mom has such strength under such harsh conditions, and you should be in awe of that (which I know you are). Wow. I am so happy that you and your family is settled and happy in your new house together. To me, nothing is more special than when families are happy. Happy may not mean the typical family situation, but happy is still happy. Coming from a broken family, I understand that now in life. At times we all may be scattered, but we are happy. And happy is what is important. Take your mom's strength and run with it - you will do great things in life with a role model like that! And of course, with your own maturity and strength, you'll be unstoppable. God bless.
Hi Rose,
I'm sorry to hear that you're missing your friend, and I think you're handling it in a very mature way. I also miss my best friend from home a lot. It's so tough not having the person there for you that knows you best--the one who can always make you laugh and feel good no matter what difficulties you might be facing. It's admirable that you're not being selfish in this situation, especially when it's just so easy and justifiable to be selfish here--after all, she's your best childhood friend! But you understand that the kindest thing to do now is give her room to grow.
As for your family: wow. I am so in awe of all of you for getting through that in such a healthy way. It might be silly, but what you said about your mother reminds me of your character from Cabaret (which you were fantastic in, by the way!); both women felt trapped, not allowing themselves to go after everything their hearts desired for practical reasons.
My mother went through something similar to your mother: she has five kids (I'm in the middle), and even when she was dissatisfied in her marriage, she stuck around for our sakes. She knew she wouldn't be able to afford to care for us if she left him. Thankfully, she found a better man, and now she's happier and can still provide for her children.
It's so heartwarming to hear that your family turned out well. I wish you, your siblings and your parents all the best. Thank you for sharing such an amazing story.
Rose,
That was a great blog post, i really enjoyed reading it. I do not think you should worry about your friend too much, if she is a true friend, which you seem to truely believe that she is, she keep in contact with you, even if she no longer needs your support. I do not think you sound jealous at all, Susie is your friend and it is very difficult to have a friend confide in you for so long and then not hear from them, it is very hard to get used to. You are handling the situation better than most people would and if she only knew that, I believe she would greatly appreciate it.
I also enjoyed reading the post about your family, I am glad that you shared that part of your life. I am very glad that all is well with your family and that your mom did what made her happy.
-Drew
Post a Comment